ATLS 4519-030/031: Advanced Motion
Advanced Motion will expand upon the creative practices and technical skills developed in the focus elective, ATLS 3110: Motion. Technical emphasis on high-level approaches in animation and motion graphic design. Conceptually explores narrative storytelling and historical origins of motion-based design and emphasizes animation as a medium of creative expression.
Through lectures, class discussions, technical demos, projects, and critiques, this course continues to allow students to develop compelling story-driven motion graphic experiences and imparts a strong critical understanding of the historical and conceptual implications of motion design in a more advanced manner. This course continues to focuses on art direction and the creation of compelling visual experiences using motion graphic tools such as After Effects, Cinema4D, Photoshop, and beyond.
Students who successfully complete this course will:
Critical Thinking & Theory / History:
- Analyze and interpret historical examples of motion graphic design.
- Enhance understanding of animation and design practices in regards to motion-based project development.
- Continue to build upon understanding of storytelling and narrative communication.
- Design critically thoughtful motion-based animations and story driven experiences
- Build compelling animations, visualizations, and narratives.
- Enhance the ability to convey ideas and views through expressive media.
- Develop strong art direction skills and aesthetic style.
- Gain mastery in the understanding of motion graphic animation production
- Acquire advanced skills in animation and motion-based design through tools such as Adobe After Effects and Cinema 4D
- Build upon documentation skills including blogging, and portfolio development
- ATLS 3110: Motion or instructor approval with a demonstrated proficiency in motionbased design or animation.