Minor in Technology, Arts & Media (MTAM)
The Minor in Technology, Arts and Media (MTAM) provides a broad multidisciplinary perspective that integrates technological skills with a critical, theoretical, and historical understanding of technology, media and the arts.
- to prepare the next generation of artists, designers, and media producers for the future
- to give students the necessary technical, theoretical and historical backgrounds so they can contribute to the development of new functionalities and aesthetics for computer media
- to facilitate the exploration of the intersection of technology and other specific disciplines
- to produce active and critically aware participants and producers of technology
- to enable students to critically and conceptually about digital media production
- A minimum of 21 credit hours:
- ATLS2000, The Meaning of Information Technology
- ATLS3010, Digital Media 1
- ATLS3020, Digital Media 2
- ATLS3030, Fundamentals of Digital Design
- ATLS4010, Capstone
- Invention and Practice Elective
- Critical Thinking in Technology Elective
- Student must maintain a 2.0 GPA within all MTAM courses.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all courses counted for the minor.
- Students may not take more than one elective course from a single department (This does not apply to ATLS courses).
- Course work used to satisfy MTAM requirements cannot be taken Pass/Fail.
- ATLS core courses cannot be substituted (ATLS2000, ATLS3010, ATLS3020, ATLS3030, ATLS4010).
- A minimum of 15 credit hours must be taken on the Boulder campus.
- Failing to meet the minimum grade for any individual ATLS core course twice will result in automatic removal from the MTAM program.
Course work not on the approved elective list (including course work from another University of Colorado campus, another institution, Study Abroad, or Semester at Sea) must be approved by the MTAM Faculty Committee. Students must complete a Course Substitution Petition Request Form and attach supporting documentation (syllabus). Substitution requests will not be considered if the student has already satisfied the requirement with an approved elective course.
Students who earn a cumulative MTAM GPA (the 21 hours used toward fulfilling the Minor requirements) of at least 3.5 will graduate with MTAM Honors.